Nuffnang

Friday 3 February 2012

The School Run is a Killer - Part 2

Hugh would look good in a Potato Sack, but I bet he
doesn't give his school run outfit a second thought!
image from here


The Little Man is loving school, three days in and he is still in love with everything, even his uniform. It consists of shorts, shirt, long socks, tie, hat and a suit jacket. I think we are very lucky that Summer is non existent in Sydney this year, otherwise that would have worn thin very quickly!

I however am waaaaay over the school run.

On top of the traffic issues, I am not coping with the school run fashion parade.  This is three days in. What am I going to do say, next week?  It is a serious issue (it is in my head).  We chose a local independant school.  I budgeted for school fees, uniforms (including, 4 bags! WTF?), text books, stationery, extra curricular activities and sport.  I forgot to budget for my wardrobe.  There are no Mums in their PJ's here.  Even wearing two outfits I like because they are deceptively casual, adding accessories, my best 2 carat zircs in my ears, slapping on make up at an obscenely early hour of the morning and, wait for it, seriously I can't believe this bit either, blow drying, actually styling, my hair (OK those of you who know me IRL, pick yourselves off the floor and read on).

I actually woke The Workaholic yesterday morning to get his approval on my outfit. Who am I???

I. AM. DYING. HERE.

I am NOT a fashion conscious person.  I like tunic tops and skinny jeans with lots of stretch.  I like a handbag that fits stuff in it and does not cost as much as my laptop.  I don't read Vogue.  I get my hair done when I get around to it (my grey roots are about 8cm at the moment...).  Most of all I like a bargain, which means I buy it at the end of the season, not when it is in fashion.

I am trying to be Me, which in normal circumstances does not give a rats arse what people think, but the problem is, I went to an independent school so  I know what blending in means for the Little Man.  Or is that all smoke and mirrors?

Help! I need to work this out before I go insane!

What's your take? Are you a fashionable school Mum? Is it important? Who to?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read them all and try very hard to reply.